River Within: Music and Literacy
"River Within" is Ellen DeCarlo's music and literacy business. A musician, writer, and teacher, Ellen is retired from elementary classroom teaching. She was an adjunct professor of music and early childhood education classes at Los Medanos Community College, Contra Costa College, and the College of Alameda in the San Francisco Bay Area. She taught West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) intern teachers through California State University, East Bay .
Ellen provides support for public school teachers as they earn their teaching credential through the West Contra Costa Unified School District Induction Program. She teaches private flute, piano, and writing lessons and likes to share what she's learned about playing the flute in her blog, Flutist Evolution.
Her education and credentials include:
- Bachelor's degree in Music (with an emphasis in music performance on flute)
- Master's of Science in Education (with emphasis in curriculum development and early childhood education)
- California Multiple Subjects teaching credential for preschool through adult with special authorization to teach music
- Cross-cultural, Language, and Academic (CLAD) certificate
- California Community Colleges limited service credential (music)
- National Board certification (2009-2019) in Literacy: Reading-Language Arts, Early and Middle Childhood
She continues in both fields of literacy education and music.